Sunday 7 February 2010

A short guide to sign writing


Now this amused me. I was rummaging in a charity shop the other day looking for teaching resources, reference books etc when I caught sight of the following hand-written sign:
PLEASE DONATE YOUR JIGSAW PUZZLES AS WE HAVE NEVER BEEN SO SHORT.
Fine, I thought, but was tickled to think of a group of short people with a secret passion for puzzles. Looking further up the shelves I realised the top shelf was crammed full of .... jigsaw puzzles. So maybe that sign was old now and they have had fresh donations: they certainly didn't seem to be short of them anymore. As I scanned the colourful array of thatched cottages and cute kittens, my eye fell upon another sign:
IF YOU CANNOT REACH THE PUZZLES, PLEASE ASK FOR ASSISTANCE.
Well, that really got me chuckling. The thought of that group of short puzzlers again. And if they really are so short in this shop, what help will they be?! Don't you just love the Great British public's ability to make unintentional puns and misleading signs.

1 comment:

  1. Kindly do not mock those of us who are vertically challenged! I love the sign which appears EVERY December at the top of the road down into our village "Christmas Trees Turn Left At The Island" [presumably other sorts of trees turn right?]
    'This door is alarmed' always amused me.
    And somehow 'disabled toilet' implies it is out of order.
    Morrisons had a sign over one checkout today "This aisle for baskets with around 15 items or less" - I know it should have been FEWER not LESS - but how many is 'around 15 items'? Is 18 around 15? or 20?
    And that sign on the Underground "Dogs must Be Carried" [but what do I do? I have no dog, it died!]
    blessings xx

    ReplyDelete