Monday 7 December 2009

How many people in your village?

No I don't mean the village where you live. I mean the village in your heart. The number of people you meaningfully connect with. Your Christmas card list perhaps? Though not necessarily. A fellow minister's wife once told me the normal capacity is about 100. And when you move from town to town, or church to church, there is a major reshuffle. Many in your village leave at that point and new ones take their place. It is not that the old ones are gone and forgotten completely, just that the quality of the friendship changes. Take for example people who have 500 facebook friends; how can they seriously be really good friends with them all? Anyway here I am in a new place and inevitably there are some friends from previous places who have faded into the background. But I thank God for the many new friends populating my new village this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment