Saturday 27 March 2010

Bags of bags


I believe in recycling, donating to charity and buying from charity shops but it has gone mad in our road. Almost everyday we get a new charity collection bag put through the door. Some are for reputable charities like British Heart Foundation. Others for more suspect groups who have never been heard of. But the thing that bothers me is the sheer quantity of them. No one would have enough clothes to fill all the bags that keep arriving.
So what do you do with them? I know you are meant to put them out and they are supposed to be collected and re-used but they never are. They just lie there getting covered in grime and dust and slug slime so I don't do that anymore. I started collecting them in a bag thinking I would use them as bin liners but I tend to use big strong black bags designed for rubbish. So I now have a huge collection of charity collection bags. What on earth can I do with them? Suggestions please.

1 comment:

  1. I don't fill them if I do not recognise the charity -sometimes I turn them inside out and use them for general rubbish and they go in the wheelie bin. I keep them in the kitchen drawer and try to fill one up with 'charity shop' donations on a regular basis [which may be things other than clothes]. And the shops do not mind if it is not one of 'their' bags.
    And a pair of curtains will fill a bag easily.
    You can cut them in a spiral and wind the resultant 'yarn' into a ball and then knit it into blankets for the homeless.
    http://www.theledger.com/article/20100108/news/1085054 [warm, lightweight, waterproof, and free]
    Cut them into strips 1" x 7" and then when you have a hundred or so you can make a Christmas wreath with a wire coathanger. Start saving them now and you will have enough for a whole class project by next December
    http://own-two-hands.livejournal.com/33356.html
    There is no end of uses for these things. Of course use number one is 'Use ONE bag to store all the others"!

    ReplyDelete