Wednesday 24 March 2010

Easter bunny gains meaning


Having taught the Easter story in all its glory over the course of the last 5 weeks, today was a more relaxed craft-based RE lesson. Card making!
We did start by discussing the very tenuous links between eggs and new life and therefore Easter. We admitted there really was no religious meaning to bunnies and chocolate but I encouraged the class to remember the real meaning of Easter while they were munching on their chocolate this year.
And so we got on with the cutting, folding and sticking as various pop-up cards and collages emerged from the busy tables covered in scraps of material, felt pens and tissue paper.
Then something happened. A girl came to me with dripping blood haivng cut her finger with scissors. Instinctively I ran it under water, gave her a paper towel and suggested she hold it tight to stop it bleeding. She seemed quite calm so I continued circulating round the class. Eventually I came back to ask how she was.
"Fine thanks. And I used the blood to add pink cheeks to my bunny. Look!!" Oh my goodness. How I laughed. She was just showing incredible resourcefulness but imagine being given an Easter card with real blood on it! .... but then a significance hit me. Blood shed on the cross! So now I know the link with bunnies and Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment